Glossary of Terms - o
Click on a letter to jump to another subsection or click on "all" for the entire document.
- A specialist in the treatment of cancer.
- Drugs containing or derived from opium (a poppy juice) used to relieve pain or induce sleep. They are addictive narcotics.
- Oral glucose tolerance test
- A series of blood tests measuring plasma glucose concentration, the first after an 8 to 12 hour fast, then a liquid that contains 75 grams of glucose is ingested, after which the second blood glucose is measured at 30 minutes, the third at one hour, the fourth at two hours and the fifth at three hours. A diagnosis of diabetes is made if the venous plasma glucose level is > 200 mg/dl at 120 min. and one other blood glucose level is also > 200 mg/dl.
- Surgical removal of the testicles.